5.19.2024

Aaliyah: Psychoanalysis

I feel like Aaliyah, at heart is a pure-hearted, innocent and carefree person. Those are traits that are affirmed in some of the media from that time she was growing up and enforced in the lifestyle her family may have lived, although throughout time, there was always a emphasis of sexiness unless it was intentionally hidden from the children growing up, like in my childhood, and my mother's childhood.

I feel stressed whenever I see her interact with other people. All I want for "babygirl" is for her to be happy and accomplished, but I wish that she was able to grow spiritually. Like me, she was meant to be kept small and innocent, and it's very hard to advocate for a new way to express yourself, even though it seemed like Aaliyah had more freedom than a lot of other girls, although I can't exactly say "around the time period" because I wasn't around during those times.

I think her endeavor in life was to be seen as attractive, in a sexual way. It took me a lot of rewatches of her music videos (not necessarily intentionally) to realize that maybe she's not this "superstar that sleeps with a thousand guys", that stereotype people always want to use to describe attractive women, especially black and minority women. Judging by her body language as she executes the dance moves, she is a shy and humble woman. Maybe she was sheltered growing up and as she matured more, she wanted to be seen as attractive in the popular American way. Aaliyah started the revolution for black women to dress up in revealing clothing such as bikini tops and tube tops. Before, it was common for women to either wear party dresses, work-out clothing or even men workout clothing in the music videos. So I'm glad Aaliyah was able to begin something like that, permanently in R&B music history. 

Another endeavor was to just be a star, someone who influences people the right way, and a singer, a dancer. It almost felt like she was blinded by her ambitions. I just hope her soul is resting peacefully.

She is an innocent angel. It depends on the environments on where these angels roam.

I have to admit that it feels really disingenuous, every imitation and "tribute" to Aaliyah I see in the mainstream music industry, even nowadays. It makes me want to throw up. All these people do is imitate and they get arguably more praise than the original thing and it feels disgusting to me. I know it's all about how one perceives it, but I haven't been a fan of most, maybe all of the tributes that had happened since her passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cassie - Long Way 2 Go (Lyrics)

 Note: I did not write this song I love it when they try to get intimate Even though they know I really ain't into it (You're not in...