5.16.2024

Ojamajo Doremi is Strange

 Hi everyone.

Uhm, I cannot really appreciate Magical Doremi, the 4kids localization of the franchise. The event of that is something you would be grateful as, as a 'Western' fan of the series. The dubbing is awful, as if it's an American show and it ruined the immersement for me. I'm so grateful I was exposed to the original version first. I now understand why people didn't like 4kids, but the website was so cool, futuristic and immersive to me.

I like Momoko and Onpu, but the way how the characters are animated makes me wince and it makes it difficult for me to enjoy the show. I get that it's capturing the hyperactive nature of children, but even Foster's Home captured that in a much better way. I admit I became a blind supporter of the show after I started watching it at age twelve to thirteen, because I loved how the production tied everything together to give you a educational "spiritual" story. 

I desperately want to learn more about the characters' stories but I can't help but feel uncomfortable. It's easy to feel envious of Japanese people in the 2000's because of media like this that hurts my feelings and honest to my mother, it feels like a romanticization of a childhood in Japan. It's easy for me to envy, because I grew up with aspects of Chinese culture but I came to like, and shortly idolize Japan's culture for some time, but I was patient with how I accepted it into my mind in childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cassie - Long Way 2 Go (Lyrics)

 Note: I did not write this song I love it when they try to get intimate Even though they know I really ain't into it (You're not in...